My mother always used to keep all the heels of bread in the freezer for future use. After a few months, we ended up with a freezer full of plastic bags with a few slices of bread each. When we reached critical frozen bread mass, she'd take them all out and make homemade bread crumbs.
- 1/2 C cannellini dried beans, rehydrated for 8 hours (or a can of beans)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped (add a few chopped carrots and celery if you have them)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped (use a can of tomatoes are not in season)
- 1/2 bunch rainbow chard (kale in the original recipe, but chard is tasty and in season)
- 1/4 C white wine
- 2 C vegetable stock (or chicken stock if you want it to be meatier)
- 4 C stale bread, cut to pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra special olive oil, for drizzling
Cover dry beans with water in the morning and place covered on the counter while you're at work. They'll be ready to go when you get home.